Saturday, October 14, 2006

Click!

That's the sound of a lightbulb snapping on. You know...when someone finally "gets it"?

Well, I finally got it. Not that I'd really lost it, mind you. It's just that I had let it slip into some deep, dark corner of my mind and forgotten how desperately I need it.

The "it" I'm referring to is music.

Music has alway been there for me. During happy times, it inhanced the joy of the moment. When I was sad and felt that I was sinking into a deep abyss, it somehow pulled me up and kept me afloat.

Music is my muse. I didn't know it then. I do now.

I remember writing my first screenplay. I got some of the best work done [even if not on paper] during my half-hour commute to/from work each day all the while listening to the same exact piece of music from Sting. By the time I had completed that screenplay, you could actually see how worn the CD was from playing that one song so many times.

It seems that [for me] finding just the right piece of music is essential to writing. If I'm writing a tender moment, I will - most likely - choose something by John Barry. If there's a chase scene, Hans Zimmer currently has some great orchestrations I really like.

I've had a hard time writing anything for a while now, and it just dawned on me that all during this "blank" time, I haven't really listened to music. Sure, I listen to the radio while in the car. I'll also pop in a CD, just to drown out the outside world, but I haven't truly LISTENED to my music. But, a few days ago I finally made the connection:

It's a simple formula really; Music + Writing = Success.

So, what's your muse?

4 Comments:

At 12:20 AM, Blogger Alvaro Manzano said...

does your head really will explode if you dont write..... lol, nice blog by the way, yopu can visit mine if you want is www.alvaros portal.blogspot.com

 
At 6:14 PM, Blogger MaryAn Batchellor said...

Oh, thank God. When I saw "Click" I thought you were going to praise that horrible excuse for a -- never mind. Congrats on the light bulb!

 
At 5:21 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I read once that Scorcese listened to the same Stones album over and over while writing Mean Streets... maybe I should try this

 
At 11:11 AM, Blogger Good Dog said...

Had a deadline on a novel that meant I had to write 3000 words a day minimum. Looped the three The Lord Of The Rings soundtracks on iTunes and kept the coffee coming. Which worked.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home