Wednesday, September 27, 2006

Serendipity

I was always a big believer that if you studied hard and worked harder you would get great things from this life.

Now, I'm not so sure.

I'm finding more and more that good old-fashioned luck -- or Serendipity -- may have a great deal to do with success. At least in terms of making it in Hollywood.

Let me explain.

I have written a lot of screenplays. Some, to be sure, were total crap, but some were very marketable and film-worthy. Those that were film-worthy were taken to the next level and brought to the attention of producers.

That's usually where the road ended for my babies. Boo hoo. Cry for me. This has never happened to anyone else, right? Right.

Anyway, I got to thinking that even the best writers out there -- and, again there are TONS of them -- are getting the same treatment from those same "Hollywood people". They have to, otherwise there would be a glut of mind-bogglingly great films in the works/in the can/in distribution at this very moment.

We all know that ain't so. So...?

It's luck. Pure and simple. Luck. Gotta be.

Don't get me wrong. While searching my backyard for the ever-illusive four-leaf clover I will continue working my ass off with my writing.

After all, I could be wrong.

1 Comments:

At 3:07 PM, Blogger AMERICAN RESTOP said...

Ink Slinger,

Perfectly normal to feel this way and yes, there is a lot of luck involved in this game especially AFTER you break into it.

So focus on breaking in.

Film worthy... Hmmm. Interesting way to put it. Do I detect just a bit of "It might not be good enough?"

If so, maybe that's the problem.

There's a MASSIVE difference between a film worthy screenplay and a screenplay THAT HAS TO BE MADE. Are your screenplays screenplays that have to be made?

If not, why not?

If not, can you tweak them that way?

We can't simply write something that's "good enough." We have to write something that blows everyone away.

If that's what you're doing, OUTSTANDING.

If not...

Unk

 

Post a Comment

<< Home