Friday, September 01, 2006

Is That a Light I See???

Today is September 1st. For those of you without kids, this day has no special meaning, other than the fact that you can:

1) Not wear white shoes again until Spring (how's THAT for a throwback?)
2) Have a really great BBQ to celebrate...who the hell remembers what for, anyway?
3) It's Friday.

No. September 1st, to me, represents closure.

Of the Summer, that is.

My kids (gotta love 'em) start back to school in exactly 3 days, 19 hours, and 30 minutes - give or take a minute or two.

As I've stated before, I love my kids. I wanted them. I gave birth to them. I nurture them.

I also can't stand them.

This has been one very interesting summer. It's the first one that neither of them (I have two - Nick, who is turning 9, and Sarah, who just turned 11) has been in some kind of "situation", or Summer Camp. Roughly translated, that means my two beautiful offspring have been with me 24/7 for the last 3 months.

Okay. Before you go off on how "I wanted kids", or "I don't know what you've got to complain about", or even, "don't you realize that kids are a blessing", I've heard all that before.

Ask yourself this: when was the last time you spent THAT much time alone with two pre-teens, who can't seem to get along for thirty seconds on-end???

Between breaking up the knock-down drag-out fights, and chauffering Nick and Sarah to wherever they needed to be, I (believe) I wrote a grand total of two (&%*&^%#) pages the whole summer!

Now, you get my point.

School is definitely this writing mother's best friend.

I swear, by all that is holy, that next summer my kids will be in camp, even if I have to take on multiple jobs to pay for them!

In the meantime, come by my kids' school this Tuesday morning, and you should be able to instantly recognize me. I'll be the one in the parking lot doing the Back to School Boogie.

1 Comments:

At 5:29 PM, Blogger Cathy Fielding said...

You're right. I could've been MORE fertile!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home