Monday, May 19, 2008

Was Plato was right?


So, I'm watching yet another biopic. This one's about the brilliant french sculptor Camille Claudel, who was the lover of Auguste Rodin.

Like so many other artists, she was nuts. She didn't start out that way, but she sure as hell ended up in a mental institution for 30 years.

Does creativity = insanity?

Van Gogh sliced off an ear as a gift. Salvidore Dali was a major nutjob. Paul Klee...Max Ernst...Jean Dubuffet...Georg Baselitz. All legally insane.

And that list doesn't even include composers, writers, or musicians!

I'm a screenwriter, and I'm the first to admit I've had a "problem" with depression my entire life, but does that entitle me to call myself creative?

Since most artists aren't recognized during their own lifetimes, would I have to off myself in order to gain recognition?

I hope not. What a bummer that would be.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home