Tuesday, March 13, 2007

Out of the Darkness

re·viv·al /rɪˈvaɪvəl/ Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[ri-vahy-vuhl] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation
–noun
1.restoration to life, consciousness, vigor, strength, etc.
2.restoration to use, acceptance, or currency: the revival of old customs.
3. new production of an old play.
4.a showing of an old motion picture.
5.an awakening, in a church or community, of interest in and care for matters relating to personal religion.
6.an evangelistic service or a series of services for the purpose of effecting a religious awakening: to hold a revival.
7.the act of reviving.
8.the state of being revived.
9.Law. the reestablishment of legal force and effect.

For our purposes here, I will be using examples 1 & 2.

Example number 1:

For quite a long time now, I have felt...off. I couldn't quite put my finger on it, except to use that overused diagnosis; Depression. One week ago, I finally decided to do something about it. I saw someone, and received a prescription for a drug commonly used to treat depression.

I didn't hold out hope that it would be of help to me, since In years past, I had taken other medications for the same symptoms. But, I faithfully took the tiny pills, anyway.

I couldn't have been more surprised at the results of taking this new drug, than if you had hit me over the head with a frying pan! In almost no time, I felt good. No, not good, great! I haven't felt like this in years! I'm not lethargic; I have no desire to sleep the day away, as I did before.

In other words, this stuff is just what the doctor order, so-to-speak!

One of the greatest benefits of my rebirth, if you will, is that renewed interest in my work. For far too long, I drudged along writing...not writing. Nothing consistent in my work habits. I guess you could say, the only consistency was my inconsistency.

Since starting the "wonder drug", I've almost become hyper-focused on completing my work.

Which brings me to example number 2:

Every screenwriter you meet will have that one piece that stands out from all the other he/she has ever written. It's their baby. The one that might never see the light of day, but will always remain in the back of their mind.

Two days after beginning treatment, I brought my baby out. Its words are still sweet to my ears even after four years of being locked away in the dark.

I decided to give my baby new life. I am currently doing a re-write, in the hopes that others will fall in love with her as well.

As any mother will tell you, the only thing you can do for your children is to give them the best possible start in life. After that, it's all up to them.

This is one kid that's going places! At least that's this mother's opinion.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home