Sunday, August 31, 2008

The Omnivore's Hundred

Purely for the sake of research... Oh, who am I kidding? I'll do anything to keep from writing! Anyway, this list is a test of your gustatory (ain't that a nifty little word?) prowess.

Here’s what I want you to do:

1) Copy this list into your blog or journal, including these instructions.
2) Bold all the items you’ve eaten.
3) Cross out any items that you would never consider eating.

The Omnivore’s Hundred:
1. Venison - yes, in jerky form
2. Nettle tea
3. Huevos rancheros - Yes, although not a Mexican food fan
4. Steak tartare
5. Crocodile
6. Black pudding - In sausage form, until I found out what It was made of.
7. Cheese fondue - YUM!
8. Carp - Too muddy-tasting
9. Borscht - I'm a nice, Jewish girl. Need I say more?
10. Baba ghanoush - Baba yes!
11. Calamari - With ponzu sauce is to die for!
12. Pho - Not yet, but I definitely will.
13. PB&J sandwich - I think every kid in America lives on this stuff.
14. Aloo gobi
15. Hot dog from a street cart - With sauerkraut, please!
16. Epoisses - Never heard of it.
17. Black truffle
18. Fruit wine made from something other than grapes - *HIC*!
19. Steamed pork buns - Chinatown, here we come!
20. Pistachio ice cream - Love the flavor, hate the color.
21. Heirloom tomatoes
22. Fresh wild berries
23. Foie gras - Ahhhh, Paris!
24. Rice and beans - Listening to great jazz.
25. Brawn, or head cheese - No how, no way!
26. Raw Scotch Bonnet pepper
27. Dulce de leche
28. Oysters - Not a fan, but I have slipped a few down.
29. Baklava - Okay, now I'm hungry!
30. Bagna cauda - A tradition at every Christmas Eve get-together.
31. Wasabi peas
32. Clam chowder in a sourdough bowl - San Francisco, baby!
33. Salted lassi - Good, but not as great as the mint!
34. Sauerkraut - Anytime, anywhere!!!!
35. Root beer float - **SLURP**!
36. Cognac with a fat cigar - Lose the cigar.
37. Clotted cream tea - Ahhh, good times...good times!
38. Vodka jelly/Jell-O - No, but would love to try it.
39. Gumbo
40. Oxtail
41. Curried goat
42. Whole insects - Probably already have without knowing it. Blech!
43. Phaal - WTF?!
44. Goat’s milk - Yes, even made soap from it! Aren't I clever?
45. Malt whisky from a bottle worth £60/$120 or more - Too strong for me -- or my wallet.
46. Fugu - Curious, but not stupid.
47. Chicken tikka masala
48. Eel - Unagi! *drools*
49. Krispy Kreme original glazed doughnut - Totally unimpressed.
50. Sea urchin - Tastes like Janitor-in-a-Drum cleanser.
51. Prickly pear
52. Umeboshi - Wouldn't be a Bento without it!
53. Abalone - Cheew-eee!
54. Paneer
55. McDonald’s Big Mac Meal - Ain't America great?
56. Spaetzle - Yavol!
57. Dirty gin martini - Not yet.
58. Beer above 8% ABV - Not a beer drinker.
59. Poutine - Never heard of it.
60. Carob chips - I don't care what anyone says. These do not taste "just like chocolate"!
61. S’mores - Every chance possible, as a kid.
62. Sweetbreads - Another one of those icky things I should probably try.
63. Kaolin - ???
64. Currywurst - Never seen there around here.
65. Durian - Not allowed into the Mainland. Did try to find it in Hawaii.
66. Frogs’ legs - Tastes just like (tiny) chicken (legs).
67. Beignets, churros, elephant ears or funnel cake - Yes, yes, yes & yes!
68. Haggis - Very tasty. Not at all as gross as you'd expect.
69. Fried plantain - OMG!
70. Chitterlings, or andouillette - So not my thing.
71. Gazpacho
72. Caviar and blini - Not a huge caviar fan -- except in sushi.
73. Louche absinthe - Would love to try some. Got any?
74. Gjetost, or brunost - Translation, please?
75. Roadkill - You must be joking...right?
76. Baijiu - No clue what this is.
77. Hostess Fruit Pie
78. Snail - It's the garlicky buttersauce that make it.
79. Lapsang souchong - I love tea.
80. Bellini - Ready, willing and able.
81. Tom yum - Yum is the word!
82. Eggs Benedict - Heart-attack on a plate!
83. Pocky - Fun, but for the kids.
84. Tasting menu at a three-Michelin-star restaurant. - My wallet holds me back.
85. Kobe beef - Poverty prevents.
86. Hare - With a mustard-cream sauce. Oh. My. God!
87. Goulash - Okay, I guess.
88. Flowers
89. Horse - My daughter would disown me!
90. Criollo chocolate - Have never seen it, otherwise I definitely would!
91. Spam - Even have some in my pantry right now!
92. Soft shell crab
93. Rose harissa
94. Catfish - MUDDY!
95. Mole poblano - Oooh, baby!
96. Bagel and lox - See #9 above.
97. Lobster Thermidor - Honestly don't remember.
98. Polenta
99. Jamaican Blue Mountain coffee - Not a coffee drinker.
100. Snake - Are you nuts?!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home